8.3.06

Big Love for polygamy?

HBO is taking a big gamble with its new comedy series "Big Love" about the trials and tribulations of a Viagra-popping polygamist and his three wives in suburban America.

The buzzed-about series, produced by Tom Hanks, is set to debut on March 12 after the mega hit series "The Sopranos." But the risqué show is already riling many Mormons, who say that it dredges up old stereotypes about the religion, which banned polygamy more than 100 years ago. -abcnews

HBO is going to air a disclaimer during the first show that states the following:
According to a joint report issued by the Utah and Arizona attorney general's offices, July 2005, approximately 20,000 to 40,000 or more people currently practice polygamy in the United States. The Mormon Church officially banned the practice of polygamy in 1890.

"The disclaimer is misleading," says Vicky Prunty, director of Tapestry Against Polygamy. "The LDS church may not practice polygamy now, but they still believe in it, and their apathy towards polygamy suggests they look forward to a time when polygamy will no longer be against the law." Tapestry believes there are more than 100,000 practicing polygamists in the United States today.


It's pretty easy to write of polygamy as a backward and goofy practice that went the way of betamax players several100 years ago. I held the same opinion until I watched an investigative report on polygamy on tv. Little did I know, polygamy is still widely practiced and includes such hilarious topics as:

* Domestic Violence
* Incest
* Welfare Abuse
* Child Abuse
* Cult behavior (not the cool kind)
* the list goes on...

Some argue that it is mere entertainment and will not have a serious affect on polygamous practices in the United States, however some aren't as hopeful. Margaret from A Morld of Wonder writes, "TV has extraordinary power over the masses. I think that a show about a happy family with three wives makes polygamy look attractive, hip and fashionable. A TV show about a successful illegal practice has the effect of glamorizing that practice. When in truth, it is illegal and potentially very harming."
I tend to agree, if this does polygamy, what the Soprano’s did to the Mafia, I’ll be worried. Even when shows portray a subject in a negative light, a portion of the audience will identify with it in a positive way. Making a show about polygamy for entertainment trivializes the very real, and abusive aspects of this practice.




This is the reality of polygamy...creepy, no?

Story tagged under:

3 comments:

MM said...

Awwe. You quoted me. I'm so flattered.

Scientia said...

I dunno that I'd condemn the practice out of hand- many, many cultures have practiced it for hundreds of years. The fact that it's associated with a lot of oppression toward women, both culturally and individually, and the fact that it's illegal in this country, are the big problems here- and I agree that any TV show about a subject tends to glamorize that subject.

Alan said...

It's legality isn't that big of a concern to me, polygamy charges are hardly ever filed. It's not the number of wives that bothers me, it's the oppression, child abuse and other aspects that disgust me. If you have 4 wives and treat them all perfectly and love your family and can support them all financially then more power to you. Because statistically you are invisible.